FREE CASE EVALUATION
Question: What type of penalties can I expect if I am charged with DUI in Maryland but live in another state? Will my home state find out about the charge?
Answer: The judges very likely would do some term of unsupervised probation, because states do not take probation out of state unless it’s a felony, and in Maryland there are no felony DUIs unless it’s a manslaughter case. So, whenever somebody’s placed on supervised probation, it wouldn’t transfer to the other person’s state. So generally what we see on an out of state case is unsupervised probation.
So we generally have our clients do everything up front, to make it easier on the judge to do the unsupervised probation. If the person receives a PBJ here in Maryland, their home state does not find out about the alcohol related charge; however, because of reciprocity, if points are assessed, so if there’s a guilty finding, those points would go back to the home state. So, in my example it was New York—New York would get notice that the person has 12 DUI points, and then based off their state’s laws, the person would be subject to punishment at that time. So that’s the only time that an out of state person can be punished based on points out of Maryland, but that would be subsequent to the actual case itself.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the first thing a person should do after a DUI/DWI arrest in Maryland?
- What can you do to be proactive about your pending DUI case in Maryland?
- Do I need to hire an attorney from the area in which I got the DUI?
- What are the potential penalties for boating under the influence (OUI) in Maryland? Could a conviction impact my regular drivers license?
- Can you explain a rising blood alcohol level in Maryland?
- What is mouth alcohol in Maryland?
- What happens if I plead guilty to DUI/DWI in court in Maryland?
- Can being nervous impair a person’s driving ability?
- Can I be charged with DUI if I am on private property in Maryland?
- What are the laws in Maryland regarding boating under the influence?
- Difference Between DUI and DWI
- DUI Reported Licensing Board or Commission
- DUI Charge Impacts Professional Licenses
- Represent Medical Doctor at Disciplinary Hearing
- DUI Charge but Live in another State
- Out of State DUI
- Anonymous DUI Call
Find the answer to your questions: What Do I Need To Do Next? What Can I Recover? Should I Get a Lawyer?…
MOTORCYCLE BICYCLE ACCIDENTS
Rider are at a disadvantageon the roads. Fortunately,there is legal protection…
Find out why accidentsinvolving trucks are differentfrom car accident cases…
Medical provider are expected to be careful and precise, yet mistakes are common…